1. It starts out when your favorite song comes up on shuffle.
Color Force / Via funnyjunk.com
2. You start walking to the beat, which makes you look like a badass.
Jake Nava / Via crushable.com
3. You know you’re not going to sing along because you’re in public but you clear your throat anyway. A few times.
Warner Bros. Pictures / Via riddlemetom.tumblr.com
4. The lyrics kick in and WOW they are so relevant to your life right now.
5. You start to imagine how you would perform the song, complete with choreography.
FOX / Via darrencriss-gifs.tumblr.com
6. You cast your crush as your love interest in the music video that is your life and imagine singing with them.
Mario Anzuoni / Reuters
7. You take a moment to lament that life is not High School Musical, where every stranger is a potential backup dancer.
Disney / Via tlcintncatdell.blogspot.com
8. You look at people on the street differently, because in the context of the song they seem very important.
FKA Twigs / Via readhadraghaslayha.tumblr.com
9. “Say something,” you mouth to the lonely-looking person on the train, “I’m giving up on you.”
DNA, Inc. / Via roughtrackblog.com
10. The lyrics imbue you with a new sense of purpose. You — yes YOU— are coming at them like a dark horse/woke up like this/took a midnight train going anywhere.
Black Dog Films / Via ego.globo.com
You also came in like a wrecking ball.
11. When random things around you happen on-beat, you are sure that you are an actual god of music.
Emil Nava / Via roughtrackblog.com
12. (This is usually the part where you realize you’ve been humming REALLY loudly.)
Getty Images/iStockphoto lofilolo
13. Then it really gets to the good part of the song and it’s taking all of your might to stop yourself from dancing like you want to.
20th Century Fox / Via persephonemagazine.com
14. You don’t even play an instrument but in your head you are absolutely shredding on this guitar solo.
15. The world looks brighter, the people around you seem hotter, and you feel like you’re on top of the world!
Chris Milk / Via theurbandaily.com
16. When the song is ending you imagine the big finale complete with fireworks or a cartwheel or some cool shit like that.
Dave Meyers / Via katyperryphotos1.tumblr.com
17. …but really you just start the song over so you can live through that experience one more time.